Friday 9 January 2009

Kilimanjaro: Post 1

On 2nd February 2009 I’ll be flying out to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro which at 5895 metres is the highest point on the African Continent and the Worlds tallest free standing mountain.

I have been climbing for over 25 years and I’ve always wanted to climb Kilimanjaro.

Each year a large number of people fail to get to the top (some even die!) mainly due to acute mountain sickness (AMS). This is usually due to a lack of acclimatisation. As well as having been at altitude a number of times including the Alps, Bolivia and the Himalayas, I have chosen a route that will allow plenty of time for acclimatisation.

I have also increased my running schedule to 30 miles per week and not using the lift at Emerson House, Salford. We sit on the 10th floor!

I’m also raising money for MacMillan Cancer support, so please sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/2009kilimanjaro

Thanks

Neil

No comments: